Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite debut album
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Yeah, I do agree to an extent, and I have the hugest respect for The Velvet Underground, but I assume there would have been some other bands out there making similar music around that time.
Maybe I should have stated that it did encourage a few people in the music industry to take notice and dare themselves to get a little more adventurous.

There were some bands that had a darker sound, yes. Maybe not similar but certainly interesting.

The Music Machine - The "Talk Talk" band (I mean the Garage Punk "Talk Talk" Band," not to be confused with Mark Hollis' band) were not similar but shared a few things: all in black, killer Fuzz Bass sound, Sean Bonniwell's lyrics that were more advanced than a lot of other Garage Punk bands of the day (although instead sung in a very Soulful voice), slightly Gothic sound through Doug Rhodes' organ. Sadly, their record company, Original Sound, wanted covers on their debut, making it weaker than what it could have been.

The Doors - Dark and sometimes mysterious, they were more easier to approach than The VU. It's not a dismissal, I love a lot of their music, but what I got out of The first two albums era VU and Nico was a coldness that was a serious clash to what was happening where The Doors wanted the audience to get involved with their music, leading to part of the appeal and large popularity.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote