Music Banter - View Single Post - My Guide to Rap albums to Blow your Mind
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Itunesucks
Account Disabled

9. Da Family- Cosmic Slop Shop (1998)

I remember hearing about this album from some dudes who knew a lot more about rap than me and they were going on about how good the lyrics were, how good the production was, the sweet album cover, how the guys flowed off one another and then they mentioned how Big Lurch ate a woman off a bad PCP trip and I said damn I have to hear this ****.

Most rap is just a show of course, not really going around killing people or degrading women. Cosmic Slop Shop from (this is debatable I guess) Houston, TX although some people will somehow argue they are from Oakland even though they make it very clear they represent Tx; which consists of Doonie Baby, Rick Rock (Known now for producing songs for Jay-Z) and the aforementioned Big Lurch who is now famous for his 2003 crime of eating his roommate while high on PCP. When arrested Lurch was found covered in blood and after examination it was found that human flesh was found in his stomach.
The story alone was enough to premise this album for me and I knew going in that I was already going to like the horror surrounding the album. It's the only album this group would ever produce but it is so dark and legendary they didn't ever need to make another album, in fact I think it would have only hurt the mystic surrounding this out of print album.

The album itself is known for the Funkadelic influence of George Clinton (clearly from the group name) and the blatant hatred towards gays, lesbians and white women.

Disclaimer: Listening to this album or reading this thread does not mean you hate gays, lesbians or white women.

Here are some stand out tracks from the album:

Hoe Games

Don't Tell Me

Butterscotch
Itunesucks is offline   Reply With Quote