Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite debut album
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #42 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Ehhh... While Ultramega OK is definitely a great album I still prefer Louder Than Love (and Badmotorfinger to that). The band was on a winning streak all the way up to Superunknown which easily ties with Badmotorfinger depending on my mood. In the context of a debut, it surely is a hefty one but the quality of their writing still had plenty of room to improve (as they did with each subsequent release - even up to Down on the Upside - while not as good overall, it still showed the peak of their growth as musicians).
We're going to have to agree to disagree. Cornell's writing may have improved but the later releases lacked the fire I feel when I hear Ultramega OK. Louder Than Love is great but where the bass leads are gone I wonder if it's because they were pressured into releasing something a little more straight forward, or because Yamamoto had already clocked out of the band. Like you mention, mood is a factor in the enjoyment of their later releases, but for me, I'm always in the mood for Ultramega OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote