Music Banter - View Single Post - My Guide to Rap albums to Blow your Mind
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Itunesucks
Account Disabled

Not sure why I did a countdown... I feel like I have way more than 10 albums to share. I'll just keep it going.

8. Real Brothas- B.G. Knocc Out and Gangsta Dresta (1995)

Knocc Out and Dresta are most known for their appearance on Eazy E's "Real Muthaphukkin' G's". Shortly after Eazy E died, they released this collabo effort (it was recorded while Eazy E was alive but does not feature him).
The album would have been released on Ruthless Records (MC Ren, Above the Law, Bone Thugs N Harmony) but since Eazy died things got messy and they released it on another record label called Outburst record and received zero promotion for the album.
It has long been out of print but I remember getting the album in L.A. about 7 years ago by random luck, since then I've found out that it is rumored to be re-released sometimes.

The album is a hard hitting, g funk gem. Very rarely known about album but it is a damn shame because these guys brought it extremely hard on this album. It can most noticeable be called a diss album but I think it encompasses a lot more than just the Death Row-Ruthless feud. While Eazy E and Dr. Dre were beefing over money, it seemed the secondary crew members of each record label were taking shots at each other. This album is a clear shot at the Dogg Pound (Snoop, Kurupt and Daz) and features many retaliations towards them.
It's a shame all these guys couldn't get along and make records together, but Dresta and his sidekick Knocc Out were out to prove that even though they weren't famous like Snoop, they were actually the better rappers. Most of the songs don't feature both rappers on the track but more a show case of each of their skills on separate tracks. The album is produced by Greedy Greg (known for working heavily with DJ Quik) If you like 90's west coast/g-funk rap, this album is a hidden treasure.

Some stand out tracks:
Everyday All Day

Compton Hoe (One of my favorite tracks of all time)

Do or Die
Itunesucks is offline   Reply With Quote