Music Banter - View Single Post - Are people born gay?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #91 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
But is there any valid, conclusive scientific evidence supporting that sexual orientation is not a choice?
Well, there are many studies that show that homosexuality is influenced by things we can't choose. It's f.ex proven that homosexuality runs in families, that a man is more likely to be gay the more older brothers were born by his mother before him and that homosexual women have hands (finger length ratios) that more resemble male hands than heterosexual womens hands do. As shown in the program I posted, one can easily choose whether a rat should behave sexually like a male or female rat by administering/controlling hormones at birth.

But ruling out psychology, even if it plays no role, is much more difficult than proving that things have an influence.

I think it's sad that so many people seem eager to hang onto the idea that homosexuality is a choice. I believe most gay people don't feel like they have a choice in the matter. I once read a study that showed how people who believe sexual orientation is not a choice are typically more tolerant to gays and lesbians. It's easy to understand why. If you believe it is simply a choice, then you make all gay men and women responsible for making that choice. And if it's a choice you don't agree with, then you may condemn them for that. I think that's quite unfair.