Music Banter - View Single Post - Euro 2012
Thread: Euro 2012
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
The Big Dog

I'll give my thoughts behind selecting Russia, bearing in mind I'd have backed Scotland had they made it. I also want to see England do well by the way.

Russia are a solid all around team they have great world-class calibre players in almost every position.

Igor Akinfeev may be one of the best shot stoppers in the planet, but is still not guaranteed a place in the starting line up.

Sergei Ignashevich is a solid centre half who plays a similar style to Man.Utd's Nemanja Vidic. He'll be a stalwart at the back for them along with Yuri Zhirkov, the only other defender of note whom I'm sure many of you are acquainted with.

At only 22 years old, Alan Dzagoev has been linked with the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester City, although I have seen very little of what this guy can do, I've heard the stories and they're frightening. He'll be the one to watch.

Russia have the most to offer in the striking department with Andrei Arshavin, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Pavel Pogrebnyak and Alexander Kerzhakov who are all capable and proven goalscorers with Arshavin likely to assume a wider position with Kerzhakov and Pogrebnyak through the middle.

Russia as a whole play a fluid brand of passing football, there are no egos in the team and each player works as part of a unit, unlike countries such as England & France and they have a steady hand in Dick Advocaat as their coach.

Their group consists of Czech Republic, Poland and Greece, none of whom will exactly give the Russians much to worry about, especially after they whupped Italy 3-0 last night.

Remember you heard Mankycaaant call it first: Russia, Euro 2012 champions
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote