Music Banter - View Single Post - Keepin It Soft
Thread: Keepin It Soft
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
DoctorSoft
Rocket Appliances

Entry #2 - A Review of Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx...

Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx is an album on that I bought on CD without really hearing anything from, other than the song "Ice Cream"(which I loved). I knew it was considered to be a classic in the Wu Tang discography, but I expected it to be slightly less dope than 36 Chambers, which is currently the only other Wu Tang affiliated album I have heard. (although if anyone has a good link for GZA - Liquid Swords, I shall rectify that situation.

Anyways, on to the album. Like 36 Chambers, RZA handles the production, and you can tell that in the two years between the albums respective release dates, he's been slaving away, honing his craft. 36 Chambers is known for it's rugged and gritty beats, this album features a slicker and at times a more soul-influenced sound. And in my opinion, it's all the better for it, I love 36 Chambers, but this is one of the best hip hop albums I've ever heard.

Most of the lyrical content on this bad boy deals with the trials and tribulations of being a cocaine kingpin mafioso in 1990's New York. I never was particularily impressed with with Raekwon's verses on 36 Chambers, but here he spits some fantastic ****. Ghostface is no slouch either, his verse on "Knuckleheadz" being one of the best on the album.

Overall, I think this album is essential to any Hip Hop fan, it has an interesting mix of 'rugged" sounding beats and more soulful, relaxed stuff.

FIVE HAIKUS ABOUT A GIRL'S HAIR OUT OF FIVE

ESSENTIALLY SOFT.
DoctorSoft is offline   Reply With Quote