Music Banter - View Single Post - Ego Tripping
Thread: Ego Tripping
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Last night I posted an entry which I had intended to be the start of an ongoing mini-theme-thing I called Five Songs that Remind Me of Childhood. Under the influence of... erm, several margaritas... I began writing about a song in hopes that I would express the strong, melancholic, nostalgic connection I still feel with it, but as I typed things started to take an unexpected turn. I consider myself a fairly open person, I’m ok with talking about my past, but some of the things I ended up saying I felt were too personal and would invite inquiries I don’t feel prepared to face as well as conversations I would rather not have publicly.

So yeah. Deepest apologies for starting things off on such a strange note, I deleted the post as soon as I woke up and remembered the things I had written, and I really hope not too many people were subjected to it before then. Trollheart, thank you sincerely for your kind words. And Pedestrian, thank you as well for your interest.

Music I Found Through MusicBanter - Pt. 1/5

For my next (lighthearted) mini-theme-thing entry I thought I’d write a bit about artists I’ve grown to love dearly and that I would never have gotten into without the guidance of fellow MB members. As I’ve been here for over four years and couldn’t possibly list (or remember) everything, I’m sorry if I don’t mention something I should have.

1. Elliott Smith - Sleepy Jack

There have been few artists that have impacted me in ways comparable to those of Elliott Smith. When I started listening to him, I started listening to MUSIC differently - I had always enjoyed music and been fascinated by it, but I felt like for the first time (at eighteen years old) I was actually feeling what it means to love music. I don't know that I could explain why it was Elliott Smith's music in particular that had such a profound effect on me, but it was undeniable.

There had obviously been artists I listened to before that point that I felt emotionally connected with, there had always been songs that could drive me to tears as well as musicianship that was so inspirational, amazing and beautiful that I learned to play guitar so I could attempt to replicate the bands I loved. But Elliott Smith was the first artist that really made me think "I want to do that."

I don't listen to his albums as often as I used to, but when I do I am always taken back to the first time I heard him, and the feeling is just as vivid now as it was then.

The first song I heard:

Current favorite song: King's Crossing

Current favorite album: Either/Or

Another artist Sleepy Jack introduced me to: Daniel Johnston
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote