Music Banter - View Single Post - David Bowie's Best/Worst...
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

My favorites are going to go with two the Ziggy/Glam era - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars and Aladdin Sane, although I'm alright with Diamond Dogs.

The Berlin Trilogy era is next for me, especially 'Heroes' especially since it's the one that impressed me the first. Low is cool, and parts of Lodger are still good with me (more on the "heard it as a kid" side of me, but the singles still rule.

Of course, there's also the ultra-fine Station to Station.

Choice cuts from other eras...

Early On/Deram era, I love some of the songs. Yes, even his attempts to break in the Mod scene that just did not work completely. "Can't Help Thinking About Me" is my favorite Mod A-Side although I have a weakness for "I Dig Everything" (I like that cheesy instrumentation that's fitting of an Exploitation flick) while his Deram era at least had "She's Got Medals" and "Silly Boy Blue," with a mention of "Let Me Sleep Beside You" and "In the Heat of the Morning" being songs only the lucky heard before their appearances on collections.

The Post-Deram/Per-Ziggy has a lot of classics, with the album nod going to The Man Who Sold the World. Of course, there's also "Space Oddity," Queen Bitch," "Changes," and "Life On Mars" among other greats.

His Soul and Funk moments had a few great ones on Young Americans, and I still love "Fame." Some others 80's and beyond however are pretty weak in my opinion, and I will have to say that "Underground" was a sorry thing, especially the last half that goes overboard.

The only 80's I can hear full on is Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). I tried to like Let's Dance and Tonight, only to find myself not getting into them much. The singles from Let's Dance were overplayed enough through my High School years that I'm still trying to place a fair judgement, although I still applaud him for actually breaking through The US in a big way in The 80's and at least choosing songs that at least brought Iggy Pop a good amount of money (always rooted for him). Still - "Loving the Alien," "Absolute Beginners," and "Never Let Me Down" remain picks I still rate as highlights with a nod to "Modern Love."

I'm still trying to decide if his Tin Machine era is my least favorite, though. I'll get back to it later.

As it's about Bowie, I'll end this on a great note...

I may be in the smaller percentage, but I sometimes listen to Hours... as it was a good album, and something that did not sound like it was trying to hard to ride on the trend of the moment. A fine way to end the Millennium in my opinion - sounding more of a toned down, almost reflective style that works.

Last edited by Screen13; 06-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote