Music Banter - View Single Post - Sex Pistols vs. Ramones
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #50 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePinkNightmare
yeah, sex pistols cared more about image. but thats cos one of the biggest things about punk in the 1970's was their image! the whole ripped clothing/safety pins/tartan and leather thing was what made punks, punks. it showed a rebellious 'we dont give a **** what you think' attitude which is what punk was all about. it played a major part in the punk movement cos it was easily emulated by punk fans. so the fact that sex pistols were obsessed with image actually makes them extremely 'punk'.
Just because you have an image doesn`t mean it`s the most important thing. There was no 'punk image' when the Pistols started because there wasn`t punk.Yes the look was a statement , but it was to compliment the music, not overshadow it.

Quote:
malcolm mclaren was NOT a rich man, he got rich off the sex pistols. he saw how much money could be made from the punk movement when he was in america and signed the sex pistols, THATS what made him rich, then they found out and kicked his ass to the curb! and who cares if sid couldnt play? they only signed him for his image cos it was THE epitome of punk and thats what was important.
What american punk movement? When McLaren was in America The Velvet Underground & MC5 had long since spilt up , the Stooges were on their last legs & If you mean The New York Dolls then McLaren managed them anyway so if he did see "how much money could be made from the punk movement when he was in america" as he was managing the biggest band in that 'movement' at the time then wouldn`t he be rich from it? But you`ve already said he wasn`t rich so that just shows you`re talking crap.
Also the Sex Pistols did not kick him to the kerb , he was their manager right until the end in 1979.It wasn`t until 1986 that they took him to court over royalties.And Sid joined because he was John Lydons best friend & the rest of the band hated Matlock so much.McLaren said yes because he looked good but the Pistols never listened to McLaren anyway

Quote:
before anyone tries to argue...i studied punk's rise to 'power' for three months as part of my media course and i got the highest mark in the centre for my knowledge so im sorry but im most probably right
3 Months?

Try 15 years

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.