Music Banter - View Single Post - Thicker Sound
Thread: Thicker Sound
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Name View Post
So like play the melody with some flair type deal? Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner kinda thing?
Well, I don't know if that's necessarily a great example. Hendrix was completely unaccompanied for that solo, and part of what makes it work, in addition to the flair, is that The Star Spangled Banner is generally sung without any sort of accompaniment, so we're used to hearing it that way.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's really a gear/tone related problem, or if it's a essentially a problem of you trying to pull off playing songs as a two-piece that were written for 5 musicians without really doing anything to change up the arrangement.

I'd suggest seeking out as many two-piece, guitar and drums ensembles as you can, (white Stripes, Japandroids, The Black Keys, Death From Above 1979 et al.) , and listen to what they do and listen to what they don't do as far as both arrangement and tone goes. I think you'll find in most cases that they tend to stray away from single not guitar solos and when they are done the solos are definitely very rhythmic in nature, or drums tend to be more involved in some of the more peak parts of the solos to make it sound as if there is cohesiveness to the sound. To be honest, I really have doubts that the problem stems from your tone.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote