Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Theory - Ask anything to receive answers
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #125 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Never.

As for why I need to do it - I just don't want to pore over a grand stave and have it take 20 minutes to decipher 4 bars.
Well there is so much stuff out there as far as books/CD for beginners, scales, songs - I wouldn't know where to start.

One of the first songs I learned was by reading traditional notation for guitar, and it took 20 minutes to learn one bar, because I was learning how to read at the same time. I only knew where middle C was and I had start from that note to figure everything else out, it took a lot of time at first but became easier as time went by.

Every instrument has something easier and more difficult about it compared to other instruments. Sax is a little more easier compare to guitar because it is a melodic instrument (you play one note at a time) but then there are other things about it like embouchure etc etc - you might need a instructor in the beginning to teach you those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Awful, hence my question.
I'm surprised that you play guitar (I'm only guessing form your user-name) and you hadn't had experience with traditional notation. I rely heavily on TAB but if there's a song I want to learn and that's the only music for it I forced myself to read traditional notation.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote