Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles: Rubber Soul- 1965
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chives
Music Addict

As a huge Beatles fan, I used to have a huge thing for Rubber Soul. I thought it was an amazing improvement over everything the Beatles' did beforehand and it was the first time they got their stuff together album-wise (just like all reviews want you to think, eh?). As time went on I kind of lost something for it. Still a great album and an important part of the Beatles' evolution as artists and other historical points but it's...perhaps overrated? I guess everything the Beatles' touched was overrated, but I mean, I'd agree with your point about a lot of the songs not being a marked improvement over Help! I'd even say that the majority of the highlights of Help! might even top some of the highlights of Rubber Soul, even if the latter is a more consistent album. Although 'In My Life' might be an exception.

Still, love the album, even if it's not one of my favorites like it used to be. Good review. I'd probably give it a 9/10, but based on your writing your score seems well-warranted (and review's rating is secondary to the written words, anyway, right?)

I'd always heard that the Kinks did India first, but this is actually the first time I've heard the song in question. Good show, and kudos.