Music Banter - View Single Post - What is music?
Thread: What is music?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

I kind of don't think that music requires a conductor or musician in order for it to come about. It's really about the listener, in this case, and whether or not they believe that something is or is not music. For example, at times, my neighbour's lawnmower clashes nicely with the wind blowing leaves across the sidewalk, and the bell chimes and water falling from the dripping faucet sound pleasant with it as well--rhythmic, if you may. Most people would say something like "hey, that sounds like a song". I'd say that it sounds like one because it is one, to be honest.

But it's a bit different when it comes to a person calling something music and others refuting that it is, in fact, not music at all. Intent does also play a massive role in what we determine as music when it comes to people playing or conducting the piece. I don't think that a line can be drawn in that you tell someone who releases an album of wind causing a microphone to hit the reds and dialogue clips from various films. Sure, it may not be the most interesting music or something that you never would want to listen to, but that just makes it bad (oh that subjective term, yes) music. One can't take away what the original intent is, no matter how much one may dislike it. Sort of reminds me of the Frank Zappa quote: “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote