Music Banter - View Single Post - Hey!
Thread: Hey!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Blarobbarg
Do good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekoid View Post
Blarobbarg -I think I can make a comfortable home for myself here, for sure. Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat.
I'm honestly just scratching the surface when it comes to Nu-Jazz, so I really should be asking you for suggestions! But so far I'm introducing myself to the bigger names that are oft-tagged as Nu-Jazz, like Amon Tobin, Skalpel, Jazzanova, Bonobo, Zero dB, Nightmares on Wax... stuff like that. My leanings in that area lean toward Trip-Hop, Breakbeat and R&B influences, but I'm starting to venture slowly into the more ambient realm, like The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, which I recently came across searching for film-noir style jazz; and Floex- wow- thanks for mentioning him! Good stuff.
Ah, you're getting into ambient jazz? I can help with that.

I would try out The Contemporary Noise Quartet/Quintet/Sextet. Not quite ambient, but very dark, and awesome. They added a member each album, hence the name change.

Bohren & der Club of Gore are my favorites in the genre, but that's not for any real reason. I have just listened to them more. They started out as a doom metal band and then made the switch to jazz... but kept playing at their previous speed and heaviness. Good stuff.

Dale Cooper Quartet & The Dictaphones. I really don't have any knowledge of this group. I have no idea who they are or why there are two names. Maybe it's a collaboration? Don't know, but it's awesome. This group stand out from my other suggestions in that they have a guitarist, and a singer.

Bersarin Quartett is actually an electronica artist, but his work is decidedly jazzesque. Not sure if he's really in the same category as the others, but it's still good, and fits in just fine.

Somewhere Off Jazz Street is yet another electronica artist in disguise. Every sound in his music is made artificially, but listening to it, you would swear it was a full band.

There are others, but that should get you started. Enjoy. And note, these bands are best listened to driving at night in a steady rain. Possibly while smoking.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote