Music Banter - View Single Post - Hey!
Thread: Hey!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
Ah, you're getting into ambient jazz? I can help with that.

I would try out The Contemporary Noise Quartet/Quintet/Sextet. Not quite ambient, but very dark, and awesome. They added a member each album, hence the name change.
Very interesting. The video's cool, too.

Quote:
Bohren & der Club of Gore are my favorites in the genre, but that's not for any real reason. I have just listened to them more. They started out as a doom metal band and then made the switch to jazz... but kept playing at their previous speed and heaviness. Good stuff.
I actually really like Bohren & der Club of Gore, especially "Sunset Mission." They epitomize what I like about "crime" style music- sets the scene for hazy summer nights, dark alleys, trench coats and sunglasses. So glad they decided to make the switch.

Quote:
Dale Cooper Quartet & The Dictaphones. I really don't have any knowledge of this group. I have no idea who they are or why there are two names. Maybe it's a collaboration? Don't know, but it's awesome. This group stand out from my other suggestions in that they have a guitarist, and a singer.
I love that sax. So dark and brooding. Excellent.

Quote:
Bersarin Quartett is actually an electronica artist, but his work is decidedly jazzesque. Not sure if he's really in the same category as the others, but it's still good, and fits in just fine.
For sure. Out of all your recommendations, I think that one's my favorite. It really paints a vivid (and spacious) musical landscape, but it's also really chilled out and almost cinematic. Lovely.

Quote:
Somewhere Off Jazz Street is yet another electronica artist in disguise. Every sound in his music is made artificially, but listening to it, you would swear it was a full band.
I love the name. And you're right, it really does sound like a band! He seems more mellow, so I'll have to get in the right state of mind to fully appreciate his work, but he's on my list.

Quote:
There are others, but that should get you started. Enjoy. And note, these bands are best listened to driving at night in a steady rain. Possibly while smoking.
Thanks. That's exactly the kind of vibe I was looking for! Seriously, it's like you read my mind.
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote