Music Banter - View Single Post - What music do your parents/siblings like?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

Hmm. Let's see:
My dad is a music fiend.
He's into classic rock like Metallica, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Rush, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, The Who, CCR, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, The Eagles, ELO, Janis Joplin, Journey; Soul like Mariah Carey, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Jackson 5/ the Jacksons/ Michael Jackson, Smokey Robinson, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, The O'Jays; Funk like Prince, James Brown, Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang... and Christian/ Gospel music like Keith Green, Casting Crowns and NewWorldSon. And a lot more...
Basically, if it's up to his standards quality wise, he likes it. But he tends not to stray outside the mainstream. He thinks my taste is interesting, but weird. lol.

My mom likes a lot of R&B and especially vocal jazz. She is/was into stuff like En Vogue, Soul II Soul, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul; and also vocal jazz like Norah Jones, Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, and others. When I was growing up, she loved Adult Contemporary music, especially Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, The Goo Goo Dolls, The Barenaked Ladies etc. and singer-songwriters like Sinead O'Connor and Suzanne Vega, as well as Amy Grant.
My mom really loves music, but isn't as opinionated as the rest of the family. She listens for therapy, mostly to the jazz station, but gets tired out of music easily.

My 17 year old sister likes mostly Christian music, singer-songwriter, "teen" music and R&B singers. She's into Katharine McPhee (since before Smash), Jully Black, Stacie Orrico, Eva Avila, Rachael Lampa, Aly & AJ, Selena Gomez, Brooke Fraser, Rebecca St. James, and Elizabeth & the Catapult.
She's a singer. We get along really well, and while I don't like everything she does, we can listen to each others' music easily, and have a mutual appreciation. She's a loyal listener, so she dedicates her attention to specific artists and follows their personal journeys.

My 12 year old brother likes most of the Funk and Soul my dad likes, especially Al Green, Stevie Wonder and James Brown. He's into the popular names of today, like Hedley, LMFAO, Bruno Mars, Cee Lo Green, Eminem, Usher, K'naan..., and Christian stuff like GRITS, Switchfoot, and TobyMac.
I don't like most of what he likes, but hey, everyone has their own taste.

My 10 year old sister is still undecided.
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote