Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #11813 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post

They coulda cut the first 30 minutes and it woulda been fine. I was expecting more considering the reviews, especially with the car stunts. The soundtrack was terrible modern 80s synthpop dribble. I ****ing hated the soundtrack. There's a cool scene were a dude gets his head stomped to puddin'. Another dude gets his throat stuck a few times over with a kitchen knife. Other than that, major disappointment. One of those movies that has you wondering if it's a ploy with enough violence to get halfwit dudes in and enough dreamy pretty boy bs to keep the girls interested. To be fare, Carey Mulligan was the only part keeping me interested but she was much better in Never Let Me Go.
That's why Nicolas Winding Refn is such a brilliant director, he messed with peoples heads with his previous film Valhalla Rising when everyone was expecting some sort of 300 mash up and instead he gave us art film dripping in atmosphere and Kubrick - like isolation so with Drive all the kiddies hoping for fast cars and a dumb action film instead got a pure love story which then does an about face and becomes the ultimate anti hero film complete with retro music and even Pink titles! It's both a homage to the 70's/80's and classic westerns (the man with no name). I watched this tonight and absolutely loved it.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote