Music Banter - View Single Post - Ego Tripping
Thread: Ego Tripping
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
Your writing is great! This looks like it will be an excellent journal!

And my gosh, that cover was fantastic. Your voice is beautiful.
Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback.

Music I Found Through MusicBanter - Pt. 4/5

Arab Strap – Unchained Ballad

When I hear Arab Strap I imagine Aidan Moffat sitting in a dimly lit room with cracked wooden floorboards and lampshades thick with layers of accumulated dust. The room stinks of spilled booze, stale tobacco smoke and a perfume unique to the unwashed, bearded woodland creature that is Moffat. Overflowing ashtrays litter the room and there are used condom wrappers in the bin filled otherwise with empty, unlabeled glass bottles and sheets of paper crumpled and shredded in frustration. There is an open window but it only serves to push around the humid stench – the epitomized smell of misery and misanthropy.

Arab Strap albums sound like novels in which you follow an apathetic antihero through a plot-less, gritty, urban landscape. You can empathize with the protagonist's thoughts and you are both disgusted by and supportive of his experiences and actions. You hate how much you can identify but you love that you’re not alone. The colloquial storytelling that is each album contains tracks heavily ridden with verses of self-contempt, sex and infidelity, alcoholism and drug abuse. Each song is saturated with witty, amusing wretchedness. It is depressing and it is filthy and I fucking love it. Arab Strap is my favorite band of the moment, no question. Unchained Ballad sent me a song one day and I instantly clicked with the music - the lyrics, the style and structure of the song, Moffat's voice, everything about it was perfect. They are the band I've been wanting to find for months.

The first song I heard:

Current Second Favorite Song:
(I Would've Liked Me A Lot Last Night is still my favorite, but I want to keep with the structure of this theme thing... but actually it's a tie so never mind I'm going to fuck it up anyway. Fuck the system. Thug life.)

Current Favorite Album: It's another tie! Mad for Sadness is the best live album I've ever heard and most of the songs are really great ones from Philophobia, therefore I can't pick between the two.

Other artists Unchained Ballad introduced me to: Pulp, Jacques Brel, Serge Gainsbourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote