Music Banter - View Single Post - Bjork
Thread: Bjork
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #137 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

I really love Bjork. I think she's completely misunderstood by the vast majority of people, and even most of her fans, just because of her personality- the way she is, and judging by her interviews, how she's always been.

There seems to be all sorts of opinions about her music, as it evolves over time and goes to many different extremes. Frankly, I think people are trying to make her albums into what they want to think they are, and not what they were intended to be. And the coolest thing is that she couldn't care less!

It's interesting how many different ways people see her; how people try to make sense of someone who is "weird" by nature. She seems to have aspects of her identity stereotyped and oversimplified (predictably). Some people have the "Icelandic Fairy Bjork" idea, others the "Scary Demonic Bjork", and still others the "Quirky Hipster Performer Bjork" image. Some fans tout her as a shrewd businesswoman who changes peoples' perception of music. Looking past her persona in performance, I can't see any of these holding water. Bjork comes across to me as a philosopher, a scientist, and a visual/ musical artist all bundled into one. A musical astronaut or explorer, if you will, charting new territory. I've heard the word 'iconoclast' used to describe her, as in, somebody who challenges and defies conventional ways of looking at things, because they are willing to delve more deeply into topics and the essence of things than the average joe. That's probably the most accurate description I've seen so far.

The reason I like her so much is the fact that I can identify with her very well. I share many of her philosophies, and enjoy similar concepts to those she explores in her music. While aesthetically I don't always enjoy her music, I always attempt to appreciate what it is she was trying to communicate (at least once, as some songs I just can't get into at all). As someone who has been considered weird to many of the self-appointed "normal" people in my life, I appreciate that she is at least receiving widespread recognition for her art, if not true appreciation- and that inspires me to share my own weirdness with the world.
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote