Music Banter - View Single Post - Doc Watson
Thread: Doc Watson
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thank you, Garrett, for opening a thread about this worthy man.

Doc Watson had a successful career of over 55 years as a performing musician, during which time he won an enviable eight Grammy awards. Despite that, he didn`t lose his natural modesty and retained an almost humble approach to the material he interpreted. Presumably that`s one reason why his commemorative statue in the US has such a simple plaque: Doc Watson - Just One Of The People

Here`s a clip I like because it shows a relaxed DW in his true setting, as a musician, friend and family man. What is poignant about this happy, homely little group is that three of the players are now dead; the first to go being Doc Watson`s robust-looking son Merle, who died in a farming accident in 1985. DW himself lived to the age of 89, but it`s not hard to imagine that he looked back to this afternoon as being one of the good times. So there`s a message here, above and beyond the music; enjoy the company of your friends and loved ones while you can.