Music Banter - View Single Post - Project help
Thread: Project help
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I think in a way your whole process is fundamentally flawed though.

You're picking female artistes who contributed a lot to music (which is fine, many did) and then trying to compare them to male counterparts. But men have been making waves in music as far back as Mozart, when music was a totally male-dominated business. Even the early blues, jazz, rock and roll, all a very high percentage male. It was only relatively recently that women started getting the proper recognition they deserve.

Of course, you have the trailblazers --- Billie Holliday, Eartha Kitt, Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone, Aretha, Dionne and so on --- but mostly they worked AS trailblazers, alone (almost) in a man's world.

So to try to compare the two: well, you could say, ostensibly, that Suzi Q made as big a contribution to rock as Rory Gallagher or Jimi Hendrix, but how do you make a proper comparison when the playing field, so to speak, is nowhere near level?

These thoughts came to me when I considered who Suzi's counterpart would be, and I could think of dozens, but none that really fit.