Music Banter - View Single Post - Ego Tripping
Thread: Ego Tripping
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Hello Wolf, I vaguely recall a few drunken promises (although I know I've made many in the course of my life) and one of them was that I'd respond to your journal. Please note that I only make promises for my own benefit so I'm not doing this for you. And that $13 that I owe you had better to go to the Daniel Johnston DVD, not crochet supplies.

Also note that the promise to respond to your journal was mostly to myself so don't feel special, there are a lot of journals that I like but never respond to because I'm lazy. Anyway, I really love this here journal because it speaks to my own musical inclinations. Besides Hanson and Interpol, I pretty much love all of the music that you've mentioned.

So where to begin? You've already said more than I have to say about the music. I guess I'll just regale you with a tale so gather 'round.

Sometime in the early-1990s I saw The Mountain Goats play in the basement of a sushi bar. This is not a joke. I saw them and they were really there. John Darnielle sat on a stool with an acoustic guitar and rocked that basement like a crazy man. Seriously. I was pretty young and I really assumed that he was either suffering from undiagnosed ADHD or had neglected to take his ritalin that day. He strummed so hard I wouldn't have been surprised to see him break the entire guitar - I'm sure he broke some strings at least. He was headbanging too. Like as much as Metallica did when I saw them play. Probably more. He was a clean cut, non-descript, casually dressed guy (this was before the weird black hair dye) sitting on a stool, wailing on an acoustic guitar and thrashing his head around in between the verses he sang into his mic. It's a night I'll never forget.

The end.

One last thing: here's my favorite-ever Mountain Goats song. I had 'Sweden' on a cassette tape copy for years until it broke. The tape stretched and broke. Probably because I kept abruptly stopping the tape and rewinding it to this song. Oh hey! You should do a cover of this song and post it here in your already great journal. That would be the best thing I've seen on MB.

Neon Orange Glimmer Song