Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums That Were Considered Huge Flops That You Actually Enjoy...
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
Sales-wise, Tusk was certainly no Rumors upon it's release, but in the end it did sell about 2 Mil, maybe more, in The States alone and scored three hit singles in "Think About Me," "Sara," and most importantly the title track (when the weirdness was concerned) . I think there was a report that Warners cancelled a lot of Christmas bonuses after hearing the album in a Q Magazine Maddest Albums Ever Made article, have to check again though. Upon hearing it again, most of Lindsay Buckingham's songs sounded like the start of his early solo sound circa "Holiday Road." A very good album.

I wonder if anyone here actually enjoys another album in that article, Happy Monday's Yes Please, the one that sped up the bankruptcy of Factory, recorded in Barbados with at least I think Shaun falling into Crack Addiction and had a pretty messed up recording history that at least unleashed a couple of good songs in "Stinking Thinking" and especially "Angel." I don't get into the whole album, but a couple of songs were good. I'm just wondering if anyone likes it as a whole album.

For my choice this post, I'm listening to Nick Guider's Frequency from 1979 (another '79 album like Tusk!). Now here's a big drop off from stardom - Following up "Hot Child in the City" was certainly not an easy thing to do, and sadly the kind of weak lead off track "You Really Rock Me" was not going to do the trick. After that, though, was a collection of some good Guilder Power Pop including "Metro Jets," "Watcher of the Night" (kind of sounding like he was listening to a lot of Rush), and "Time After Time," (not to be confused with the better known 80's song by Cindi Lauper). Not a bad album, but one that was seen in a lot of cut out bins. Got mine used with a Rink's sticker that had the album for 20 Cents.
The problem with Tusk is that it may have been too much a Lindsey Buckingham album for Fleetwood Mac. Its an album that at times is brilliant whilst at times in fairly incoherent, its an album for big fans of the band and even bigger fans of Lindsey, as you said its fore-shadows Lindsey's solo work which I love, so I do like Tusk but its very much a flawed masterpiece as ...And Justice For All was for Metallica.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote