Music Banter - View Single Post - Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania (2012)
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Admittedly I haven't checked out much of anything by Corgan and Co. since the final batch of compilations that were released after Machina (Rotten Apples / Judas 0) but from what I'm finding on youtube it's not doing much for me.

The title track is overdrawn and gets boring, the heavier live tracks like Quasar are so reminiscent of their early material that it sounds like a clone. There really is no going home again. One of the comments for Quasar really sums it all up - It sounds like I Am One. The 'new' song sounds like the first song from the first album from 20 years ago, I suppose it's fine for a new generation of people, but as an old school fan if I want to hear something that sounds like 1992, I'm gonna dig out an album from 1992. Not really interested in new material made to revisit covered ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Every time I've bought into his nonsense about how he's giving the fans what they want and THIS time it's awesome.
This raises a big red flag for me. If he's trying to please the masses he's always going to fail - they'll never be satisfied because they're never able to fully remove the nostalgia filter from their memories. As a result it sounds like he's trying instead of doing, there's no feeling of '... alright this take, don't give a f*ck' as is revealed in the final seconds of the classic Silverf*ck.

He's obviously still got a keen ear for production though, I don't know why he doesn't move into a more studio based / mentor role for newer bands. Time to pass the torch Billy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote