Music Banter - View Single Post - An indeterminate number of albums you probably have never heard, but maybe should
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
and the bittersweet "Comin' home".
Great thread. I'm also a reader as ell.

To add on a small bit of trivia, since the System is one of my favorite Detroit area bands of the legendary Grande era, Noah was the album that almost stopped the band, with Seger planning to go to college to study Criminology by that time. Released around September/October, 1969, it featured a number of fine Seger songs including the Beatles-styled title track (a Top 20 in Detroit), "Innervenus Eyes" which was the follow up single that hardly made it anywhere, and the closing "Death Row" - although the mess that wound up Side One called "Cat" certainly remains one of those songs hardly anyone talks about unless one's a fan of the Early Seger (yes, I am). Although his writing was still great, there seemed to be a slow down in his contributions, with some of the spaces taken over by a Guitarist named Tom Neme who's work was seriously weaker than that of the band's leader. The fact that the standout "Death Row" was an B-Side to an earlier single (The classic 2+2=?) was also worrying to those who followed his career since the days of "East Side Story," but thankfully Seger returned in '70 with Mongrel and "Lucifer" to continue his long ride to the top, which finally was rewarded with Top 40 Albums in The Late 70's starting with Live Bullet.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote