Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #1178 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Jansz, it's not just that it was mostly standalone episodes that make it the soap opera of Star Trek, it's the overinterest in people's relationships in favour of proper sci-fi storylines. They spent more time worrying about how Seven would relate to the Doctor (two of the only good characters in the show imo and both wasted, again imo) than how paper-thin the plots in what they laughingly termed "stories" were, how they could be resolved and how they might have an effect on future storylines.

I mean, at one stage they lost Harry Kim in some accident. Huge cheers went up, but then they popped into some alternate universe and half-inched their Harry! Boo! Also very lazy and sloppy story-telling. The idea of all the Maquis just toeing the Starfleet line cos Janeway said so was laughable: the Maquis had no love for Starfleet (seeing as how they were always being hunted down by them, on behalf of a race who became one of both's biggest enemies, the Cardassians), not to mention the fact that Voyager's original mission had been to capture the leaders of the Maquis (Chakotay/Torres) with Tuvok a spy in their midst. They should have torn the ship apart, treated it as a basic prison ship from which they were never likely to escape! All this should have been explored, at least over a few episodes, with tensions arising as maybe some Maquis tried to take over Voyager. But no, it was all resolved in the very first episode. Pathetic.

I could go on. I may, if you're unlucky, but I'm just pointing out that the episodic nature of Voyager wasn't the only reason it was seen as a soap in space. And if DS9 was a soap, it was the biggest, baddest, most un-PC soap in the history of soaps!
Hey, I'm not denying Voyager had its fair share of cheese, every Star Trek show has been served with with a sizable slice of cheese. I'm just saying it's the show I enjoy the most after TNG. It featured one of my absolute favorite Star Trek characters (The Doctor), was an overall fun show to watch, and even had several episodes I'd describe as "great". I'm glad they didn't do much with the Maquis angle (though they actually did a lot more with it than you imply) because, frankly, Star Trek's propensity toward "space politics" bores the crap out of me. That's one of the reasons I've never really gotten into DS9 actually. I used to watch it here and there during its original run and I found the heavy emphasis on space politics, space religion, and long-winded (read: soap opera-esque ) story lines to be kind of tedious. Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning on trying to work my way through DS9 when I'm done with Voyager, but there's definitely a reason I've watched them in that order.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote