Music Banter - View Single Post - Black Metal by Normal People?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Whether or not one self-describes as normal seems irrelevant; normalcy is a trait is projected onto others.

But, anyways, whether or not the lyrics are explicitly anti-social is irrelevant as the music style itself has been, since its inception, anti-social and the sound chosen because it was antagonistic. For this to change we would need, at minimum, for the aesthetic principles of the black metal sound to be considered acceptable by a large portion of society.

This is why "traditional" black metal artists and fans mock those who try to incorporate into the genre populist messages, especially those with a political dimension. Whether explicitly far-left (e.g., Iskra) or far-right (e.g., Wehrhammer), neither side has yet to be able to square the anti-populist nature of the music with their populist rhetoric. A broader way to state this would be that black metal's aesthetic is fundamentally anti-humanistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
\They live on a farmstead, though I'm not sure if it's in the woods. As far as I know they are very eco-activist, but I live in the woods surrounded by farms, and if I could garden myself I probably would. My dad does. I guess to some it would be weird, but I don't think so.
Right, here's two things that make the crew of Wolves in the Throne Room bizarre:

-the guys are self described eco-feminists
-they actually use draft horses for farm work

Boom. ****ing weird.