Music Banter - View Single Post - New members' "mixer" thread?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default New members' "mixer" thread?

Here's a stupid idea (from the one who always brings such things to the table): I know we have the introductions thread for new members, but it seems a lot of them don't get past making that intro and are often left hanging. I know they can then go on exploring threads and sub forums but I don't think the larger percentage of them do.

So I thought maybe something like what colleges and so on have, I think they call them mixers? One thread, where newbies can go and talk to each other and into which we can all drop to, as it were, mingle, and where they can then ask questions if they need to, or we can all just get to know one another. It could be run on a weekly basis, maybe. Bit less formal than making an intro thread and waiting to see if anyone comes in to talk to them. Obviously the intro threads could still be made, but it would be a way of moving beyond that without striking out on their own into the actual forum too early.

Does anyone think that's the most stupid and unnecessary idea ever, or is it worth considering?