Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #6293 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis (1995)

I really don't share the same level of hatred for Ozzys solo material as the majority seem to. Ok, none of it holds a flame to Black Sabbath. Everyone knows that. There is also some really dreadful stuff, thats also something I very much agree with. I dont think it can all be so easily written off though. Personally I think some of it holds some merit and although I very rarely listen to it, I can always go back to it. Of all of it, Ozzmosis holds a place in my heart, mainly as a key album for me from the days where I was still just starting to scratch the surface of heavy metal and broaden my horizons.

Zakk Wylde is a guitarist I also share no hatred for but I'll be the first to say he can be bloody hard work at times. I think that generally he often seems a show-off for the sake of showing off, just my opinion, and that that doesnt appeal to me much at all. However I do like his work on this album. The trademark traits are there but I can only assume he only had limited input into the instrumentation on this record and the end result is a pretty decent one. Dont be put off if you arent a fan of his, basically. Geezer Butler was reunited with Ozzy as he came in on bass during a massive overhaul of band members. Rick Wakeman also features on keyboards.

As long as you dont expect a masterpiece and, yes, maybe forgive one or two tracks, especially lyrically, then in my opinion Ozzmosis is a pretty tight record and arguably marked a shift toward more contemporary sounding heavy metal for Ozzy. This was probably all down to Michael Beinhorns influence as producer, after working with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden and Aerosmith.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote