Music Banter - View Single Post - Live Sound Setup Help (mixer/pa/instruments))
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Peppermint4life
Music Addict

Instead of junking up the place with a new thread, I guess I could put this in here.

I'm also new to PA systems, and I'm putting one together for my band. At the moment, I have the most flexible income so I'm footing the bill. Anyway, my band has three people in it now. Me on guitar, a drummer, and a vocalist who sometimes plays a guitar. Anyway, I don't know one bloody thing about PA systems and miking, so I'm kinda shopping blind. Most of the venues around hear have house PA systems, but we need one mainly for recording purposes and the occasional gig that doesn't have one. So I guess I my questions fall into two groups:

1.) In my setup, how many microphones will I need? As the guitarist, I use two amps. Not for stereo effects, but to thicken my sound. One amp has some really deep bass while the other is a little shimmering. Do I need two mikes or should I just angle my amps together and use one microphone? Then, how many mikes do I need for the drums? It's just a basic set: two toms, floor tom, snare, bass, Crash, ride, hi-hat.

2.) This is the PA I was thinking about getting: Kustom Profile Two 300W PA System | Musician's Friend. But I'm worried about the number of microphone inputs. So I was considering adding this: Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX Level 1 | Musician's Friend This mixer also allows me to record to my computer via USB. This way I wouldn't need to invest in a multi-track recorder. But can I connect the two? If so where? Before the powered mixer or after?

Yeah, I'm lost lol.
Peppermint4life is offline   Reply With Quote