Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Dosvidanya, Comrade Anteater!

Artiste: The Gourishankar
Nationality: Russian
Album: 2nd Hands
Year: 2007
Label: Unicorn Digital
Genre: Progressive Rock. Well, sort of. Hard to tie down really.
Tracks
Moon7
Endless drama
Queer forest
Taste a cake
The inexpressible chagrin
Syx
... End
Marvellous choice

Chronological position: Second album
Familiarity: The tiniest bit, thanks to Anteater
Interesting Factoid: “Gourishankar” means “the mountain as high as Everest”. Now you know.
Impression: Interesting, but a little too much going on all at once.
Best track(s): Endless drama, Taste a cake, The inexpressible chagrin, ...End
Worst track(s):Moon7, Marvellous choice (overlong at 18 minutes and wanders too much)
Intention: Listen to more, if more can be found!
Comments: The music is excellent, however the start/stop nature of the singing --- not to mention the often indiscernible vocals --- make it often seem as if I'm listening to a corrupt file; music sort of jumps up like a dolphin leaping out of the water before just as quickly darting back under the surface and swimming away, and singing hits then runs before you have a chance to even realise it's there. There are, as Anteater mentioned in his review, a huge variety of styles and genres used by the Gourishankar, but in some ways I think it's a case of trying to force too much into one box: eventually it'll split. When they get it right though, --- and in fairness, a lot of the time they do --- it's really quite special, and I'll be trying to hunt down the rest of their catalogue, though this one was hard enough to track down. Ant? Any help, mate?

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-12-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote