Music Banter - View Single Post - Cheap Trick
Thread: Cheap Trick
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
well, if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of power-pop at that time, I prefer the Raspberries and the Only Ones over Cheap Trick

but that's just the power-pop hipster in me
Eric Carmen was a great vocalist but the Raspberries never ever made a string of great albums. The Only Ones I don't know but will check em out, I've listened to a lot of punk and new wave stuff from the late 70s and early 80s recently and seemed have missed them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
Honestly, I've never understood why Cheap Trick is hailed as some Hall of Fame kind of band. Solid group, but nothing ground-breaking musically or lyrically, from what I can tell. It follows that I don't love any of the band's songs, though I champion "It's Only Love" as underrated. And its video has some good eye candy
There seems to be different criteria for the the Hall of Fame, but in Cheap Trick's case I think its down to originality in both sound and image. I mean nobody ever sounded like that before and the members of the band look like they come from about 3 or 4 different bands it makes for an intriguing mixture. Also they're probably in there on the strength of the opening salvo of albums that have been highly influential on a bunch of artists, but then again maybe I'm just being overly biased here.

Yep that is a great 80s pop video, one of the highlights of The Doctor album which was poor.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 07-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote