Music Banter - View Single Post - Are people born gay?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #111 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Do we actually know that this is the reason, or are we just guessing that that's the reason? Makes sense, but I've never really been that into primates so I don't know one way or the other.
Yes, pretty much. There are many studies and publications on bonobo sexual behaviour. Here's the abstract of one such small study :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tension regulation and nonreproductive functions of sex in captive bonobos
The bonobo, or pygmy chimpanzee exhibits a wide variety of sexual and erotic behaviors. In a quantitative study of 10 captive members of the species living at the San Diego Zoo USA, the role of sexual and affiliative behaviors in the regulation of social tensions was investigated. These behaviours occur at moments of increased competition, such as at feeding time, and after aggressive incidents in the colony. The exception was grooming, which was suppressed at moments of acute tension. The patterns of sexual reconciliation and reassurance are contrasted with the behavior of the bonobo's closest relative, the chimpanzee, which virtually lacks this function of sexual behavior.
Source : Tension regulation and nonreproductive functions of sex in captive bonobos | Mendeley

You'll see it says sexual reconciliation and reassurance and a mention that regular chimps do not have such sexual function. I believe humans to be closer to bonobos in these aspects of behaviour. Societal violence is an interesting comparison. Chimpanzee societies are many, many times more violent in general than bonobo and human societies which have similar levels of societal violence. Like bonobos, we've evolved behaviours that help us avoid conflicts with eachother.