Music Banter - View Single Post - What albums do you know inside and out?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I definitely did it the other way, the old, boring way: get into one band, decide then to see what else is out there like them, essentially move through phases.

So my first ever albums bought were ELO and Genesis, which then moved me on to Supertramp, Marillion, Twelfth Night, Pallas et al and began my "progressive rock" phase, during which I had a mini-phase of Van der Graaf Generator, even the solo Peter Hammill albums. Later I got into metal via Maiden and then Saxon, Leppard, Motorhead, Twisted Sister and so on.

Nowadays I'm trying to break out into different genres, though with limited success. I must say though, my discovery of Tom Waits certainly broadened my musical outlook and allowed me to listen to music I would never have envisioned listening to prior to that. It's been a slow but steady growth since then, and I mean slow.

Albums I know inside out: Marillion's first four, Genesis from Wind and Wuthering to about Duke (I know the others too, just not as well), Maiden to Fear of the dark, all the Mostly Autumn catalogue, all the Shadow Gallery and all the Threshold albums, all the Asia albums, all the Bob Seger up to and including The fire inside, Bon Jovi from Slippery on, Springsteen from Born to run to Tunnel of love, ELO from El Dorado to Secret messages, Supretramp from Crime to Famous last words, and probably a whole lot more I can't think of.

Oh yeah: and Jeff Wayne's "War of the worlds" --- I love that album!