Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Punk album of all time?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #117 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
The first 3 Kiss albums are just as good as anything the New York Dolls put out. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves, they're both exactly the same thing.

As for the New York Dolls not influencing hair metal, you don't seem to understand that not all hair metal was Bon Jovi, Poison style MTV videos & Ballads. A lot of the early hair metal bands has a massive influence from both punk and the New York Dolls. Just look at Hanoi Rocks, Torme, Dogs D'amour Lords Of The New Church (Which featured Brian James of The Damned, Stiv Bators of The Dead Boys and Dave Tregunna of Sham 69. And plenty of others I can't be bothered to name right now.

Even Nikki Sixx once said Motley Crue's 3 biggest influences at the start of their career was The New York Dolls, The Sex Pistols & The Sweet.
Correct, both Kiss and the Dolls were early purveyors of "in yer face low-rent trashy rock" I was never a fan of either of these two bands but they do have their moments, the third Kiss release had a good pop edge to it and I can listen to "Strutter" from the debut anytime, also some of the best Kiss songs on these albums were the ballads.

Not many people outside the UK know who the Sweet are, but this song was one of their best. Pat Benatar did a superb cover of it on her debut album. For the record Sweet were also a huge influence on Def Leppard as well.

Sweet - No You Don't - YouTube
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote