Music Banter - View Single Post - What albums do you know inside and out?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Hmm, here's a small list of albums that have permanently been absorbed into my psyche.

Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows (2008)

Absolutely sublime from start to finish, and part of what made it work was it was far more consistent than their debut LP which kind of switched gears halfway through. I did a lot of driving through the desert in 2009 and this was my go-to soundtrack for those long drives.

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier! (2007)

If I had this on vinyl I doubt the thing would be able to play anymore. This album was absolutely monumental for getting me over my preconceived notion that all country (besides Johnny Cash of course) sucks. Perfect blend of history, ballads, and humour, with really good storytelling and song writing, I still come back to this album at least once a month, if not more.

Slint - Spiderland (1991)

Like many people, I failed to see the importance of this album on my first listen. There was barely any singing and the spoken word portions were so hard to hear that unless you were wearing headphones or had really good speakers and were playing the album loudly, you'd miss a lot of what was being said. Either way I decided to burn it onto a CD and keep it in my car, that was in 2009 and the fucking CD is still in my center console. I know every lyric, I know every heavy section, and I can keep the beat on my steering wheel.

Strapping Young Lad - City (1997)

This is one of my oldest CD's that I still have. I purchased this in the fall of 2002, aka my freshman year in high school, aka the worst year of my life. All the friends I made in Middle School got to go to a different high school, and instead I had to go to one way the fuck on the other side of town (a 20 mile round trip) because I was in that zoning. I don't want to get into the nitty gritty details, but suffice-it-to-say the year sucked, but because I owned this album it sucked a little less. I practically always had this album in my CD wallet and I almost always listened to it on the bus ride home to help me unwind.

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses (1993)

Another album from my youth, and one I have spent years mastering. I know the band isn't the most well respected around here and I've always kind of struggled to explain why I like Type O Negative so much. I like how they never took themselves too seriously and were always able to poke fun at the seriousness of metal and the Goth subculture, while still remaining a centerpiece of it. In any case, while I think October Rust (1996) is a better album overall, Bloody Kisses was my first and is the one I've spent the most amount of time memorizing.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

This was one of the albums I got into in part thanks to my father. He was trying to find something we could bond over, and while we did have a lot of fun playing golf and pool together, he figured he could pass on some of his musical knowledge. Dark Side of the Moon was one of those albums that we listened to on a car ride to the interior of B.C. and definitely helped make the boring drive a lot more fun.

Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power (1973)

I hold the incredibly unpopular opinion that this is really the only Stooges studio album worth owning. I've had both Funhouse and their self-titled debut, and while there were certain songs on them that were good, I never liked sitting down and listening to the whole thing through. Raw Power on the other hand is an album I can listen to repeatedly and never get bored of, even the titular "Raw Power" which has that really annoying keyboard clanging throughout the song. I'm sorry but John Williamson was a better, and more engaging guitarist than Ron Asheton could have ever been.

Television - Marquee Moon (1977)

Probably the only vinyl album I regret selling, and not just because it was an original pressing, but because of the magic I felt when I first heard it on vinyl. It was just one of those situations where everything was right, the mood, the sound, the temperature, the time of day, everything was in its right place for me to get the best experience possible from that album.

Beck - Midnight Vultures (1999)

For the longest while this was my go-to album to prove to people that I didn't just listen to depressing or angry music. In fact, I probably listened to this album on my stereo as many times as I've listened to City by SYL to help cheer myself up. I don't know why this album is so widely disregarded as one of his worst, especially considering it followed Mutations (1998) (which I personally think was his worst).

Now just for a list of album and band names

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (1991), Siamese Dreams (1993), Melon Collie & The Infinite Sadness
Killing Joke - Killing Joke (2003), Hosannas From the Basement of Hell (2006), Democracy (1996)
The Cure - Disintegration (1989)
Pixies - Doolittle (1989)
Portishead - Dummy (1994)
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote