Music Banter - View Single Post - One song to introduce someone to a band
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Somebody's gotta do King Crimson and all their phases...

First phase: Symphonic-Prog (The "In the..." albums)

While 21st Century Schizoid Man is probably their best song, I don't think it reflects their overall sound, which had more classical overtones rather than jazz overtones in 21st Century Schizoid Man. Essentially 'Wake' is the same as 'Court' but 'Wake's' songs are slightly weaker (Cat Food over Moonchild being the exception). I think this narrows it down to Epitaph and In the Court of the Crimson King. Both tracks make great use of the mellotron and are prime examples of King Crimson's epic, classically influenced sound. Personally, I think Epitaph works better as a stand-alone track and much easier to digest, where In the Court is supported by it's position as the epic conclusion for the album.
Spoiler for Epitaph:

Second Phase: Jazzy-Prog (Lizard and Islands)

The first reaction would be to eliminate Islands from this discussion, but we'll wait. 'Lizard's' title track is great, but a 25 minute epic is not the way to introduce someone to a band. Cirkus is a great track, but it's more along the lines of the first phase rather than the second. So this leaves the remaining 3 tracks from 'Lizard' and 'Islands'. If there is anything about this phase of KC, it was probably their most light-hearted phase, see Happy Family which is a satire of the Beatles history. The only' Islands' track that fits both the light tone and the jazzier influences is the raunchy Ladies of the Road. And between the 3 mediocre tracks on Lizards and Ladies of the Road, I would choose Ladies of the road.
Spoiler for Ladies of the Road:

Third Phase: Experimental Rockish-Prog (Larks', Starless and Red)

The best song of this phase is Starless, but I think it's more of a Frankenstein song made from elements of the band's entire past. The experimental nature of this period came from Fripp's creative guitar playing and the use of many different instruments, especially the percussion. If there is one song that encompasses all those traits, it's Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Part I). The opening 3 minutes of meandering percussion, followed by the violent outbursts of band the the ensuing jazzy coda make this a great starter piece. Not only does Larks' Part I contain all those elements, it leaves you wanting more material, compared to songs that exhaust you with their scale and climax, i.e. Fractice, Red, Starless Larks' Part II...
Spoiler for Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Part I):

Fourth Phase: New Wavey-Prog aka the Crimson Heads/Talking Kings (Discipline, Beat, Three)

I refuse to acknowledge Three of a Perfect Pair, and the only track I genuinely like from Beat is Requiem (which is more like the next KC phase than this one). Not to mention, Discipline is certainly in the conversation as King Crimson's best album. Of all the songs from Discipline, I feel the best intro to this period would be Indiscipline. It has that new wave groove but maintains the darker edge that KC has when doing their take on it.

Spoiler for Indiscipline:

Fifth Phase: Experimental Metal-Prog (Thraak, ConstruKction, Power to Believe)

This is the phase I have the least familiarity with, but I still can make a recommendation. Between Thraak and ConstruKction, you may have a decent EP, maybe an LP. The final album, The Power to Believe feels much more inspired than the previous 2 albums. The track that best exemplifies the phase is Level Five. I think Eyes Wide Open is a better song, but again, it does not fit the overall feel of this phase. Level Five takes the metal aspects that have been marinated with the KC mentality and cooks it to near perfection. If anyone has heard John Paul Jones' solo work, it's very similar to the stuff KC was doing at the time (which may or may not have anything to do with Fripp playing guitar on both).

Spoiler for Level Five:

Phew!

Last edited by Electrophonic Tonic; 06-30-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote