Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Expect the ... uh, expected

Artiste: Axxis
Nationality: German
Album: Utopia
Year: 2009
Label: AFM
Genre: Heavy metal/Power metal
Tracks
Journey to Utopia
Utopia
Last man on Earth
Fass mich an
Sarah wanna die
My father's eyes
The monsters crawl
Eyes of a child
Heavy rain
For you I will die
Underworld

Chronological position: Twelfth album.
Familiarity: “Kingdom of the night”, “Axxis II”, “The big thrill”, “Matters of survival”, “Voodoo vibes”, “Pure and rough”, “Back to the kingdom”, “Eyes of darkness”, “Time machine” and “Paradise in flames”. Also the live album “Access all areas” (shoulda called it “AXXIS all areas...”)
Interesting Factoid: This album marked the twenty-year anniversary of the band. Their latest, released this year, is a collection of covers of … disco hits! I kid you not!
Impression: No disappointment if a little predictable.
Best track(s): The monsters crawl, My father's eyes, Fass mach in, Heavy rain
Worst track(s): No, not really any. Some are a little weaker than others, but nothing I would categorise as bad.
Intention: Just keep listening to everything this band turns out.
Comments: Look, no-one (least of all me) is going to suggest that Axxis are going to change the face of heavy metal. At best, they're a decent metal band with a good line in hooks and some great guitar, complemented by excellent keyboard licks and the occasional foray into the orchestral/operatic sort of territory more confidently trodden by the likes of Epica, Within Temptation and Nightwish, and at worst they're a generic metal band, one among thousands. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. A band doesn't have to be totally experimental, change the game or open up new horizons for me to like them. Were that the case, there are a whole lot of bands --- metal and otherwise --- to whom I would not give the time of day. But for what they do, Axxis do it as well as anyone, and better than some. I'm not entirely sure what a seamonster has to do with Utopia, though, but this is a decent album. It's not anywhere near as impressive as “Paradise in flames”, but then, nothing before or since has been, in my opinion. But it's well up there with the best of the rest.

It's interesting to see Axxis include a German-language song on the album, and though I have no idea what the title means, it's good enough that you quickly forget it's not in English. Elsewhere there are great rockers like “The monsters crawl”, “Last man on Earth” and the title track, not to mention the moving ballad “My father's eyes”, which is where I see Axxis standing just a little apart from the rest of the crowd. They have a talent for melding hooky, almost AOR-style keyboard runs with the heavier guitar work to form something that is more than the sum of its parts, and makes Axxis just that little more than another run-of-the-mill heavy metal band.

This album is unlikely to make you a fan if you're not one already. On the other hand, if you are one of those who, like me, enjoys their music, you'll be happy with this album.

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-13-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote