Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you think of this generation of music?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #76 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
I was just speaking about the Pop Chart in comparison to what what everyone complains about now, following on the OP of this thread. I lived in a small town and actually l discovered a lot of good music at the local library or late night TV show as I hardly got in the FM Rock Stations in the cities far away or if I had the luck to get in WGPR (Soul Station) on the AM - even CKLW was getting too lame. I was a kid stuck in Nowhere with a cheap radio and a parent who listened to the AM radio.
Well now you are a kid with a computer and you can look up all kind stuff on youtube and really discover what that era of '69 to '83 had to offer. Don't be bullied around by kids your age that thinks only todays music is hip or cool. You're still young and if you can free yourself from that mentality that old music isn't cool - once you learn more about that era you yourself probably would wish you could live during that era (circa '69 to '83).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
problem is, i think the Carpenters were fucking geniuses

anybody who so easily put them off has probably never studied any of their songs to see how complex they are

and Journey and Styx are alright with me, well, Kilroy Was Here-era Styx anyway

yes, the 60s had a lot of fluffy pop schmop, but they were fun
If Catpenters were geniuses it's because the stood on the shoulders of giants, i.e. Les Paul and Mary Ford, notwithstanding their (Carpenter's) own talent they brought to their music.

Journey lucked out finding Arnel Pineda, he really rocks out their songs. But in a way there's a strange resemblance to Mark Wahlberg character in Rock Star.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote