Music Banter - View Single Post - The Weather
Thread: The Weather
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #450 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

In the north east we're usually fortunate enough to miss this kind of weather, whenever places further sound get hit. This time, however, I think the north was where it hit the worst. I think it mainly affected parts of the midlands, Wales and the north from what I was reading online.

Newcastle Central rail station was closed as it was flooded, several metro stations were largely under water, the traffic came to a complete halt as it was taking many people between 5 and 7 hours to get home after work. many cars were left abandoned in the streets, there is of course the video I posted which is a great example of the thunder and lightning and there is another doing the rounds of the sheer volume and pressure of the rain blowing a manhole cover and the water flowing out onto the streets. There was also, sadly, a report of a man being swept away who then died.

I personally was lucky. I was in the pub after work when the storm hit us, it rained hard for a little while and then stopped. I was able to get home without any disruption at all, bar a small 5 minute de-tour as a road was closed. In the meantime though, not 15 or 20 miles up the road there was people completely stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic between roughly 5pm and 11pm/midnight, if not later.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote