Music Banter - View Single Post - Fly,Fly My Sadness by Huun-Huur-Tu
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
I came across these notes from Mikhail Alperin explaining what he was trying to achieve.
^ Very interesting information about how this album was conceived; who would think that a dream about a multi-racial family could generate something so beautiful. I thought the bit about a Russian singer walking out during the recording of "Prayer" was amusing. I presume your wife would`ve walked out as well, stp. Either way, I wonder what that album sounds like ?
The conclusion of MA`s notes was a nice touch : all those musicians gathered together, spontaneously sharing their different heritages must`ve been wonderful to see. I hope someone had a tape recorder running ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Wow, I am really enjoying this album. Well, maybe "enjoying" isn't the right word. In fact it's much too small of a word. The music on Fly, Fly My Sadness is so vast and elemental that I have a hard time imagining it being written and performed by human beings. This music sounds pre-human, ancient, all-encompasing, almost as if you are hearing the inner workings of the forces that drive all creation and destruction on Earth. It's so stark and pure and massive that listening to it is almost a scary experience, like looking into the chasm of your own mortality. Each time I've listened I've been left with the impression that it is perfect funeral music, the sound of the mountains and oceans simply existing, uncaring and unaware of our brief flashes of life on the skin of this planet. It many ways the feelings evoked by these songs are painful and depressing but it's also a beautiful experience, a reconciliation of a quieting mind with the way things are.

Thanks for the heads up about this thread, Lisnaholic. I've already tracked down one other Huun-Huur-Tu album, which is also excellent, and this has kind of rekindled my interest in other Asian folk and classical music as well.
That`s a great description of the effect this music can have, Janszoon ! You pinpointed something that was way down in the back of my mind when you talked "the chasm of your own mortality" ; mixed in with the beauty,there is something chilling about this music too.
BTW, I`m sure I`m not the only one who would like to hear more about that other Huun-Huur-Tu album you found.