Music Banter - View Single Post - Speakers for a dorm room
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Dave couldn't be more right about this. Headphones, price for price, will sound a hundred times better than speakers. This holds true well into the multiple THOUSANDS of pounds, regards audio equipment.

I'd recommend Grado SR60i headphones, or if you can stretch, SR80i. They're light, comfortable, and sound better than anything else on the market. You can't go wrong with a good pair of Grados. They're also very neutral, so they handle every style of music well.

And I'm not saying this because I haven't experienced a proper sound system. It actually isn't what I did. My system in my dorm room at university consisted of the following:

Denon Seperates Amplifier
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 speakers.

Thats roughly 1K of audio equipment that I used all day and night at university.

Did it sound good? Yes.

Was it convenient? No.

Did I need the volume? No. Not once did I ever need to push that system beyond "Listening level". I did, on occasion, but as Dave said, if you think you need to kick out the volume in a dorm, you're going to be "That Guy", the prick who won't turn his freaking stereo down because he wants to subject everyone else to his ****ty taste in music.

Don't be "That Guy"

The only reason I even wanted to keep that system around at university, was because I did a music degree and it was useful to have monitors for mixing.

Get headphones. Use them. You don't need a HiFi in a dorm room. take it from someone who had a HiFi in a dorm room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote