Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's Muzak 101: Legitimizing Smooth Jazz For The Unwashed Masses
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Oh, Ant! Paul bloody Hardcastle? I effing hated his music! I'm going to have to work up to clicking play on those videos, and I have to say I'm not anticipating liking them. I would never have associated him with jazz of any kind --- dammit, I remember n-n-n-n-nineteen: who of my age group doesn't? Drove us effing mad for weeks: "In Vietnam he was nineteen. In Vietnam he was nineteen." Yeah, we GET it. Shut the **** up! And as for "Don't waste my time", oh Christ no!

I head off to bed now, with nightmares already crowding around me (shudder)... (and other confused icons that don't exist...)
Well, even if you hate 'Nineteen', I'd be surprised if anyone could outright hate 'Rainforest', particularly if you derive any enjoyment whatsoever from Sega Genesis or N64 music.

Second, although this won't convert the uninitiated in all likelihood, Hardcastle has evolved quite a bit since 1985. His debut record is a rather important footnote in the establishment of contemporary jazz as a genre, not unlike Grover Washington Jr's Winelight a couple of years before, thus I felt it might be a decent place to start for my journal.

That being said, the next couple of albums/artists I'll be spotlighting should be a bit more appealing to you and other readers as far as musicality goes. Stay tuned and all that, lol!

Oh, and just to give you a bit of perspective, here's how he sounds as of 2011. Guess he's stuck in '95.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 07-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote