Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you think of this generation of music?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #100 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
I think anytime a band manages to dominate the entire frickin' world and do it again and again and again, like Abba or the Carpenters or even (Gulp) U2, respect must be paid. There is definite talent there that shouldn't be dismissed just because the music isn't your particular cuppa. Personally, I can't listen to the Carpenters because I find the sadness in Karen's voice just a bit too unrelenting, but I have mad respect for them. And Abba, sheesh, they still dominate. Benny and Bjorn were pop monsters in their day. Some bands just have their fingers on the proverbial pulse.
And for ABBA that proverbial pulse flatlined in the 80s. The group itself, how it's constructed, is a writing team and a vocal group (two sets of couples - which is unique in a way) back by studio musicians - and they were nothing more than Schlager meets Spector. I've heard better and I've heard worse. I can't see where ABBA was as great as they are made out to be. ABBA only had one #1 song in America on the Billboard 100. Lennon & McCartney and Burt Bacharach & Hal David were both much better as a writing team. For some reason there's this notion some believe that when it comes to certain bands/artist (like The Velvet Underground, ABBA, Jacko, and Nirvana) their material was the end all and be all of music.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote