Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #11880 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Four Lions (2010)

Well this is awkward, it's a slapstick comedy about terrorism that somehow manages to present the mindset of a terrorist in a more three dimensial way than any serious depiction I've seen over the last decade. It also features some surprsingily (and refreshingly) modern takes on Islam and how one can practice their faith while disbarring the notions that have been hammered into the minds of most Westerns for the last decade. And despite all that it's a comedy that basically presents a "what if" scenario, ostensibly saying "what if the three stooges were terrorists?"

Every one of the terrorists is a colossal moron, one in a well-meaning, one in an angry, one in a confused, and one in a completely baffling way and the plot does concern their constant bickering over what makes a good target, the contradictions in their plans, and who is the biggest idiot of the group, yet you still bond with them despite their irreprehensible plan. It's like in that Kevin Bacon film The Woodsman (2004) where he plays a pedophile who was just released from prison. You don't want to like him, but damned if you don't feel something for him by the end of the movie. Four Lions does the same way, but by the time the third act roles around you kind of know the fates of each of the characters is cemented because there's no real way to end the film that wouldn't be taking the cowards way out. Despite how funny these guys are, what they were planning to do was wrong and the film does not try to make it into a shades of grey thing.

Basically, heavy premise aside this is easily the funniest movie I have seen in a very long time and is definitely something I feel the need to share with people. It's pitch dark comedy so it's audience is already limited, AND it's pretty entrenched in its British heritage so some of the jokes may go over your head, but I would highly recommend this movie.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote