Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you think of this generation of music?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #103 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Well, if there's on thing I enjoy about the 80's in general, it's the atmospheric aesthetic to a lot of production back then. Sure everyone was using keyboards to the point of overdose, whether it was pop or New Age or AOR, but there's something oddly immersive about an era in music dominated by cocaine synthetics.

Today, the mainstream really has no idea what it wants to be, and while party-oriented, Top-40 stuff have gotten 10x more annoying than anything cut before 1999, music on the whole isn't any better or worse from year-to-year than it was in the past.

I think most people who really get into music though, regardless of genre, eventually find something from twenty or thirty years ago to get attached to. For me its always been progressive rock, certain breeds of metal, AOR and a lot of jazz or ambient leaning material. For someone else its Husker Du or Ultravox. For another person it might be The Church or the endlessly winding discography of Frank Zappa.

I love The Church, I never heard of them at the time when I bought my first album of theirs. I found out about them through a guitar magazine. I wasn't disapointed at all. I found out later they were influenced by The Bealtes, the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd. I guess the more you learn about music the more you can see it is interconnected and how bands are influence by older bands or one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Point is, while this generation certainly doesn't necessarily appreciate or take the time to really soak in stuff like past generations might have, its not a lost cause.
That is ironic because the past is only a click away on the internet. Anyone can find almost anything they want on youtube.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote