Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you a prog head?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jarvig
Groupie

Default Are you a prog head?

Are you a real prog head or are you "just" listening to prog because that is there you find the best music of today?

Some will properly say both. But if you should pick just one of them what would you pick.

For me its like this.
I am not really a prog head. For me prog can become very annoing and too "interlectual". When the prog is more important than the music "behind" the prog.

But most bands I've have picked up the last 15 years are prog bands. The reason is that it is in prog that I find most of the best music of today (the other places I find good music is mostly in indie and alt rock). I really enjoy the subgenres of space prog, hard prog, eclectic prog, metal prog and post rock prog. Its there I find a lot af good music.

But for me many these bands aint even that proggy and its just fine with me.

A good exsample of my taste in prog is Pink Floyd. My favorite band in the world. Yes they are core old space prog. But actually they are "just" also good mainstream rock that millions and millions of people can enjoy. From Meddle and forward they are not that proggy. I like that.

So how about you? Do you like when prog is very, very proggy (= prog head) or when its just good rock with some cool hints of prog here and there?
Jarvig is offline   Reply With Quote