Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rap & Hip-Hop Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #567 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$AP Sparky View Post
Actually he worked as a waiter while making the first few records. I'm not sure what his age would be an argument against?

I think his San Francisco transformation may be why i'm so bored by his newer material.

Pretty much any good artist is a spokesperson for life outside of societal confines right?
1) His current age plus his success in underground hip-hop = he's a very successful underground hip-hop artist. He's not making a lot of money but he does it anyway. He doesn't wait tables, he pays his rent by making music.

2) You're bored with the latest stuff you've heard? I'm not.

3) Absolutely wrong. Unless you're talking about artists who are very young and willing to subsist on almost no money (like living in a van), most "good" artists work very much within the confines of society and the way that much larger sums of money is normally generated (i.e. an investor pouring lots of ducats into promoting them and selling their merchandise which is the real commodity of commercial musicians. I know I don't need to explain this to you but you brought it up). To reference my point #1, most musicians don't make a reasonably sound living without getting within the confines of commercially successful record labels (i.e. society) even if its a very low-paying underground hip-hop label like Def Jux or Rhymesayers. They all have to make enough money to support themselves somehow. The way small, poor labels do it without wealthy investors? Employ talented artists who will work hard and garner the support of devoted fans. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That's very different from my take on it. I've always seen it being simply about work, not as a negative, but just as a general topic ranging from, yes, punching the clock to focusing your energies on your creative work.
I think Aesop Rock and all successful rappers his age (hence the reason I mentioned his age) would agree that making money in their field is hard work. But it is work that they do for their own satisfaction as well as for feeding themselves. As for Aesop Rock, he's definitely against the 9-5 clock punching method of generating income. The exceedingly few rappers who can feed themselves and pay their rent by making $$ from their own heartfelt art obviously work VERY fucking hard to do so.

A$AP Sparky, isn't all of the above obvious?