Music Banter - View Single Post - What instrument should I learn (first)?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ebb...Izzy
Groupie

Default What instrument should I learn (first)?

Here's my story.
I am going to teach myself to play an instrument. I am extremely good at teaching myself things. I was "unschooled" so I got to do it a lot, but mostly it's just a gift, I think.
Not trying to brag here, far from it, I just want you to know that I can take this on. I am prepared to devote every ounce of my energy towards teaching myself to play an instrument. It is my calling and I'm not letting anything get in my way.
I have to teach myself because a) there are no good teachers around here for anything but guitar, b) I can't afford a teacher anyway and c) driving time/gas consumption to get to a teacher is impractical even if I could find cheap lessons.

Now that all that self-teaching, blah blah blah intro is out of the way, let's get on to choosing an instrument.

I love the sound of:
Violin
Viola
Piano
Saxophone
Double Bass
Trombone
Accordion
Most woodwinds (clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, english horn, flute, piccolo and oboe)

That's just a quick list, not all of the instruments I like, so please suggest whatever else you think would be god for me!

I would love to be able to play in an orchestra, jazz ensemble, or on my own. An instrument suited for all three would be ideal, but I will be learning a second instrument some day. An instrument that sounds good alone is my top concern right now.
I like a lively tune and also more solemn stuff. Again, an instrument that can achieve both is ideal.
I also like Irish music a lot.
I really really want to experience busking someday. So an instrument that sounds good alone, isn't to hard to learn and memorize songs and isn't hard to transport would be perfect.

I do not want to play guitar or drums. I played piano when I was 2 (yes, two). Now I am nearly 18 and remember nothing but "Happy Birthday" and "Row Row Row Your Boat" lol.

Guitar is out because it bores me, I like something less usual. Drums because it's just not me, piano because it's too big (*sob*). Double bass and cello are probably too big too, but I would still consider learning one because I love them.
I don't want an instrument that can get boring easily. I want to be able to play a great many diverse songs, not feel stuck with songs that all sound the same (is accordion like this, or is it just my limited exposure?).

Singing... I would love to sing, but I am far from it. Way too inhibited, stuck on ****ty comments from friends who never even heard me sing...
I sung in a choir for about 6 months and loved it, but I don't know if I could do it on my own. Well, I know I could, I believe in myself, but I'm not rushing it and I don't need to choose my instrument around whether or not I can sing with it. Just thought I'd throw that in.

My mom has a violin she'd give me and my grandpa has tons of sheet music for fiddle (and maybe violin too). My mom took lessons for a little while maybe 6-8 years ago, so I'd have some support and maybe a little basic teaching if I chose violin.
My Uhropa has/had an accordion that I might be able to rescue from permanent storage if my Opa isn't too stingy.

But I don't want to just go with what's on hand for the sake of ease. I want to choose the absolute best instrument for me. Money is not too much of an issue. I'm far from rich (very far indeed), but I'll spend what I need to do what I love.

I'll have at least an hour every single day to practice, probably up to 2 hours. Don't know if that makes a difference.

So, what do you recommend? BTW, the instruments I love the sound of list is not all I would consider. Please throw in your best suggestions regardless of what I have said. Maybe I've overlooked something.
I also could be swayed on the guitar matter if you gave a convincing argument.

Thanks a bunch!

Ebb...Izzy